[openstack-dev] [nova] nova default quotas

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Wed May 28 01:43:27 UTC 2014

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 1:11 PM, Vishvananda Ishaya
<vishvananda at gmail.com>wrote:

> Phil,
>
> You are correct and this seems to be an error. I don’t think in the
> earlier ML thread[1] that anyone remembered that the quota classes were
> being used for default quotas. IMO we need to revert this removal as we
> (accidentally) removed a Havana feature with no notification to the
> community. I’ve reactivated a bug[2] and marked it critcal.

While I agree that we shouldn't have removed support for a working feature
like updating the default quota via the REST API. I don't think we should
just do a revert.

The good news is we haven't dropped any tables yet, so a revert won't
require any migrations.

* quota-classes never worked for anything except changing default quotas,
and this feature adds a whole bunch of DB calls to every quota lookup (a
big overhead for a mostly broken feature). I am not a huge fan of bringing
back a feature that is known to be mostly broken. I am also not a fan of
breaking working features, which we did. Perhaps the right answer is to
bring back just the default value override support.
* But having a rest API to override config file options sounds like a step
in the wrong direction. I can see this easily leading to confusion about
where the default quota values are coming from. This is part of a larger
issue: folks want to update config options without restarting any services,
as far as I know there is no reason why we cannot support this with minimal
changes in a way that we can use this for other config options.