[openstack-dev] [Fuel][Pacemaker][HA] Notifying clones of offline nodes

Vladimir Kuklin vkuklin at mirantis.com
Mon May 26 15:16:57 UTC 2014

Hi all

We are working on HA solutions for OpenStack(-related) services and figured
out that sometimes we need clones to be notified if one of the cluster
nodes running clone instances goes offline. E.g., we need this information
to make RabbitMQ AMQP broker cluster to forget this node until it goes up
again. This is easily achievable if we stop the instance on the node - then
notification is sent to clone instances and everything is fine. But what
can we do if node goes offline unexpectedly? Is there any way to notify
other clones that the slave is dead and perform corresponding actions?

One of the ways we figured out is to implement additional cluster
monitoring action in resource OCF and purge "dead" nodes, but it looks a
little bit overwhelming and inconvenient. Is there a chance we missed some
attributes that allow configuration of such behaviour that pacemaker
notifies other clones on node offline/fence/cold_shutdown ?

--
Yours Faithfully,
Vladimir Kuklin,
vkuklin at mirantis.com