[openstack-dev] [neutron][virtualbox] VLAN tanent network not working with neutron in VirtualBox

Tim Chim fschim at gmail.com
Mon May 26 13:29:22 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I have a OpenStack controller + Neutron hosted in a VM provisioned by
VirtualBox. In another physical server I have my compute node. I configured
Neutron to use VLAN tenant network and trunked the 2 ports of the switch
connecting the compute node & the host of the controller. However when I
create instance on the compute node, I found that my instances failed to
talk to the DHCP server in the same tenant network. It is revealed that
those DHCP packets from the VM has its VLAN tag in place when arriving the
host machine. However, when they entered VirtualBox, the VLAN tag of the
packet is stripped and thus making neutron to fail routing the packet to
the proper tanent network.

>From Google I found that there are many workarounds (i.e. using Virtio
instead of Intel for VNIC, etc), but so far none of them work for me. So
may I know if any of you have experience using VirtualBox to host
controller and successfully used VLAN tanent networks? If so could you
kindly share your config (i.e. the type of VNIC you used for VirtualBox)
with me?

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Tim