[openstack-dev] [neutron][group-based-policy] Should we revisit the priority of group-based policy?

CARVER, PAUL pc2929 at att.com
Fri May 23 16:28:10 UTC 2014

Mohammad Banikazemi wrote:

>in Atlanta the support was overwhelmingly positive in my opinion. I just wanted to make sure this does not get >lost in our discussions.

Absolutely. I hadn't been following the group policy discussions prior to the summit but I was very impressed with what I saw and heard.

>to in particular discuss the possibility of making the code less tightly coupled with Neutron core.

+1 to making it less tightly coupled (although I haven't been inside the code to have an opinion on how tightly coupled it is now)

Let's keep in mind OSI-like layers and well defined interfaces between them. Coming from a hardware networking background I find it very convenient to think in terms of ports, networks, subnets and routers. Those concepts should continue to be basic building blocks of software defined networks. The layer 4+ stuff should be added on top with clean interfaces that don't entangle functionality up and down the stack.

Strict OSI layer compliance has never been a great success, but the general concept has been very useful for a long time All the most painful protocols for a network person to deal with are the ones like SIP where clean separation of layers was indiscriminately  violated.