[openstack-dev] [neutron][group-based-policy] Should we revisit the priority of group-based policy?

Kyle Mestery mestery at noironetworks.com
Fri May 23 16:02:06 UTC 2014

I've watched this thread and I wanted to wait a bit before replying to
this. I also read the meeting minutes from the GBP IRC meeting yesterday
[1]. What I sense is there is no general objection to the GBP work in
general, but rather an objection to the way it's being done. I'd like to
see the work address the two main concerns going forward:

1. Iterative approach on gerrit.
2. "Down to the dataplane functionality" so there is no gap in patches
being proposed.

I think these are both doable and I'm encouraged to see the GBP developers
agree. If I've miststated or simplified the objections too much, someone
please feel free to correct me, as I am in no way trying to simplify them,
rather trying to boil them down to workable items so the GBP can move
forward in a way which we all agree on.

On the topic of priority, I'm leaning towards having this remain as a High
priority item for tracking purposes. There is enough interest in this from
a wide swath of people, and the implementation is being done in the open.
When we have done previous work around LBaaS, FWaaS and VPNaaS, I believe
those items were tracked as High priority, at least parts of them. Given
GBP is a similar community effort, I'd encourage us to track it at a
similar priority. However, this is an open community, I am merely one voice
among many, so hearing from others and listening to others opinions is very
important to not only me but the entire team.

On another note, I've spent this week coming up with the Juno project plan,
which I'll share at the Neutron meeting and on the ML soon. This will track
all High and Critical priority BPs and bugs, and possibly some Medium
priority community BPs as well. Feedback on this will be welcome.

Thanks,
Kyle

Thanks,
Kyle