[openstack-dev] [Openstack-docs] [Heat][Documentation] Heat template documentation

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Fri May 23 13:57:16 UTC 2014

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 8:42 AM, Steven Hardy <shardy at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 08:09:06AM -0500, Anne Gentle wrote:

> ran
> > > away

> > > Needing
> amounts of

> > > Sure, maybe "need" was the wrong word to use, my apologies.
>  Regardless,
> > > the docs refer to a closed source tool being "encouraged", which
> > > immediately discouraged me when trying to figure out the workflow.
> > >
> > > I've tried editing XML in vim a few times, and although it's obviously
> > > possible, it's far less painful when I'm dealing with other more
> > > human-friendly formats.

> > > Sure, that's good, but my (and I'd guess many others) preference is for
> > > formats which can be easily built locally with only distro-provided
> tools,
> > > not a huge pile of third party java.
> > >
> > > Not trying to start a format-advocacy argument here, just trying to
> provide
> > > a data-point that, if the success criteria is developer participation
> in
> > > the docs process, then the current toolchain is definitely a barrier to
> > > participation for some potential contributors.
> > >

> > Thanks for the discussions -- let's keep a tone of civility. Understand
> > that doc writers have specific tools that work well for them. That said,
> we
> > do want to collaborate more with our end users specifically.
>
> My apologies if my remarks have been interpreted as uncivil, that was
> definitely not my intention.

Oh no not at all, sorry -- my intent is that we are all staying civil and
it's good. :)

> The only point I really wanted to convey was +1 on trying out an easier
> markup, and thanks for bringing up the topic of a user orientated
> orchestration guide - I would definitely like to contribute to the effort.

So we're still a little stuck on the tradeoffs -- with easier markup we
lose some features.

For other generated reference docs, we maintain a set of python scripts in
openstack-doc-tools. Is it possible for someone to look into generating the
Heat template reference information outside of Sphinx?
Thanks,
Anne