[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Core API refactoring

Mandeep Dhami dhami at noironetworks.com
Thu May 22 02:47:16 UTC 2014

Hi Salvatore:

Comments inline as well

​> ​
This is a bit obscure to me. I read it as you're hinting the core team or
part of it has double standards.
​> ​
In that case I would invite you to clarify.

​Last week, I had requested reference to a design document for neutron
refactoring work. As this is a critical change, I wanted to understand what
was being proposed (and hopefully contribute to it's implementation). The
only feedback I received was about the etherpad of the meeting, and I was
hoping for more. I re-requested it again, yesterday, just in case my
request had got buried under all summit related email that everyone was so
busy with last week.

The update from Sean seem to suggest to me that we needed blueprints only
if the public API changes, and not for design changes that are internal to
neutron. My comments were meant to extol the "virtue" of creating a design
document, and reviewing all significant design changes, even for updates
that do not change the public API. In that context, I was trying to make a
point that reviews should be prioritized by importance/impact to the
project and not based on any other criteria (like, say a delta difference
from previous spec - something which would be triggered by a simple name
change - and something that thought that I had seen in a review just that
very day).

When I sent that email I did not know who was working it, there was no
aspersion cast or implied. The only mention of "core" was in "something as
core and central to neutron as refactoring ..." and I never mentioned the
core team. If you are working on it, I apologize if it came across that way
to you. At the same time, I am not comfortable with the conclusion that you
drew about my intentions. I am happy to address this face-to-face if that
helps (or hangout to hangout) - I am not that adroit with emails and I
worry that my response may again be misunderstood.

​> ​
I am not entirely sure what kind of v3 APIs you're referring to.

​My understanding was that there was a proposal for a V3 API. But based on
Mark Mclain's response to this thread that is probably now slated for
K-release.

​> ​
I don't see a mandatory relationship between pecan and taskflow.

​I don't see a relationship either. I, simplistically, put all the
following issues in the refactoring bucket:
1. Paste + stuff => Pecan
2. V2 => V3
3. Taskflow
4. Cleaning up of distributes locks​

No relationship between them is necessarily implied (either in design or in
timing). I figured that any refactoring effort will have to design solution
for each of them and then weigh priority based on effort/risk/impact/value
of each of those changes. I suspect that there are more - that was just
what I understood to be urgent or important.

​> ​
There was a session discussing the possibility of having a task based
interaction between the front end and
​> ​
 the
​
backend - taskflow would be a candidate task manager solution there. But
from what I gathered this was
​>​
 orthogonal to the Pecan effort, which is merely a replacement of the
home-grown wsgi framework neutron is
​> ​
running today.

​I understand.