[openstack-dev] [Storyboard] [UX] Atlanta Storyboard UX Summary

Michael Krotscheck krotscheck at gmail.com
Wed May 21 20:32:10 UTC 2014

I've compiled a list of takeaways from the one-on-one ux sessions that we
did at the Atlanta Summit. These comments aren't exhaustive - they're the
big items that came up over and over again. If you'd like to review the
videos yourself or peruse my notes, please drop me a private line: They're
rather large and I don't want to share my google drive with the world.

*Users were extremely confused about Tasks vs. Stories*

This is perhaps the biggest takeaway, because it came up in every session
and on every UI. Questions included: "Can I comment on this task", "What if
a task requires a design review independent of a story", "What is the
lifecycle of a task/story", "Can I make a Task be dependent on a Story (and
vice versa)", "How granular is a task", "Why can't I see which project this
story is assigned to".

There was also an extended section of the design meeting trying to explain
what a task is, how it relates to gerrit commits, how that impacts the
overall workflow, and more. On one side, one-task-per-commit was mentioned,
another time 'tasks can be anything' was mentioned.

*We really need search*

The title is self explanatory, really. Several users asked for a
'universal' search much like how Gerrit now works, with improvements on the
autocompletion and tagging, so that there would be only one 'uber' Search
place. Subsearching inside of projects was also requested, though the same
was not asked for in stories. One user asked for the ability to save
searches.

*Users want sorting*
Sort by priority, sort by status, sort by date, sort by project were
mentioned. The latter may be difficult for stories.

*We need priorities*

Patch up for CR.

*Typeahead needs clearer UI*

Everyone had problems with the typeahead fields in the task edit form, for
which we've since put up a patch that may make it clearer that it's a
dynamic field. Work is ongoing on that.

*Story Status should be decoupled from the status of its tasks*

Many users were not certain about the Story's status changing when the
task's status did. Some did notice, however there was some negative
feedback regarding the lifecycle of a story. One user wanted the story's
lifecycle to begin during design, before any tasks were created.

*Everyone wants it*

A lot of interest. Yay!

There's more, however I've picked out the big things that I feel need to be
addressed as we move forward with the infra dogfood, as well as a few
little things that I feel are going to be quick fixes.

Michael