[openstack-dev] [Cinder] Confusion about the respective use cases for volume's admin_metadata, metadata and glance_image_metadata

Day, Phil philip.day at hp.com
Wed May 21 19:49:23 UTC 2014

OK I won't even try to bring Nova's three types of metadata into the discussion then.

> Glance image properties ==> ALL properties are copied to volume_image_metadata in Cinder

Let's just limit this thread to this one, since that's the one that is partly mutable in Glance and becomes immutable in Cinder

> Regarding the property protections in Glance, it looks to use RBAC.  It seems
> to me that if a volume is being uploaded to glance with protected properties
> and the user doing the copying doesn't have the right roles to create those
> properties that Glance should reject the upload request.
>
> Based on the etherpads, the primary motivation for property protections
> was for an image marketplace, which doesn't seem like there would be the
> same need for volumes.
No it is still needed.   Consider the case where there is a licensed image in Glance.   That license key, which will be passed through to the billing system has to be immutable and has to be availabe to Nova for any instance that is running a copy of that image.  Create a snapshot in Glance, the key needs to be there.  Create a bootable volume in Cinder, the key needs to be there, etc, etc.    So both Nova and Cinder have to copy the Glance Image properties whenever they create a copy of an image.

The full set of paths where the image properties need to be copied are:

- When Cinder creates a bootable volume from an Image on Glance
- When Cinder creates a snapshot or copy of a bootable volume
- When Nova creates a snapshot in Glance from a running instance (So Nova has to have a copy of the properties of the image the instance was booted from - the image in Glance can be deleted while the instance is running)

The issue is that the set of Glance Image Properties that are copied need are a combination of muatable and immutable values - but that distinction is lost when they are copied into Cinder.  I'm not even sure if you can query Glance to find out if a property is mutable or not.

So to make Cinder and Glance consistent I think we would need:

1) A way to find out from Glance is a property is mutable or not
2) A way in Cinder to mark a property as mutable or immutable

I don't think Nova needs to know the difference, since it only ever creates snapshots in Glance - and Glance already knows what can and can't be changed.

Phil