[openstack-dev] [Nova] [Neutron] heal_instance_info_cache_interval - Can we kill it?

Assaf Muller amuller at redhat.com
Wed May 21 13:21:01 UTC 2014

Dear Nova aficionados,

Please make sure I understand this correctly:
Each nova compute instance selects a single VM out of all of the VMs
that it hosts, and every <heal_instance_info_cache_interval> seconds
queries Neutron for all of its networking information, then updates
Nova's DB.

If the information above is correct, then I fail to see how that
is in anyway useful. For example, for a compute node hosting 20 VMs,
it would take 20 minutes to update the last one. Seems unacceptable
to me.

Considering Icehouse's Neutron to Nova notifications, my question
is if we can change the default to 0 (Disable the feature), deprecate
it, then delete it in the K cycle. Is there a good reason not to do this?

Assaf Muller, Cloud Networking Engineer
Red Hat