[openstack-dev] [oslo][nova] how to best deal with default periodic task spacing behavior

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue May 20 14:15:23 UTC 2014

Between patch set 1 and patch set 3 here [1] we have different solutions
to the same issue, which is if you don't specify a spacing value for
periodic tasks then they run whenever the periodic task processor runs,
which is non-deterministic and can be staggered if some tasks don't
complete in a reasonable amount of time.

I'm bringing this to the mailing list to see if there are more opinions
out there, especially from operators, since patch set 1 changes the
default behavior to have the spacing value be the DEFAULT_INTERVAL
(hard-coded 60 seconds) versus patch set 3 which makes that behavior
configurable so the admin can set global default spacing for tasks, but
defaults to the current behavior of running every time if not specified.

I don't like a new config option, but I'm also not crazy about changing
existing behavior without consensus.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/93767/

Matt Riedemann