[openstack-dev] [qa][nova] Status of v3 tests in tempest

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue May 20 11:28:14 UTC 2014

On 05/19/2014 11:49 PM, Christopher Yeoh wrote:

> On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 11:58 PM, David Kranz <dkranz at redhat.com
> <mailto:dkranz at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     Removing [nova]
>

>     On 05/19/2014 02:55 PM, Sean Dague wrote:
>>     My suggestion is that we stop merging new Nova v3 tests from here
>>     forward. However I think until we see the fruits of the v2.1 effort I
>>     don't want to start ripping stuff out.
>     Fair enough but we need to revert, or at least stop taking patches,
>     for
>     https://blueprints.launchpad.net/tempest/+spec/nova-api-test-inheritance
>     which is trying to make supporting two monolithic apis share code.
>     We will share code for micro versions but it will be distributed and
>     not based on class inheritance.
>

> Hrm - we'll still have pretty similar issues with microversions as we do
> with v2/v3 - eg the test code for the same api with a different
> micoversion will have a lot in common. So for test code we're probably
> back to either:
>
> - if/else inlined in tests based on the "microversion mode" that is
> being tested at the moment (perhaps least amount of "code" but cost is
> readability)
> - class inheritance (override specific bits where necessary - bit more
> code, but readbility better?).
> - duplicated tests (min sharing)

Realistically, the current approach won't scale to micro versions. We
really won't be able to have 100 directories for Nova, or a 100 class
inheritances.

When a micro version happens, it will affect a small number of
interfaces. So the important thing will be testing those interfaces
before and after that change. We'll have to be really targeted here.
Much like the way the database migration tests with data injection are.

Honestly, I think this is going to be hard to fully map until we've got
an interesting version sitting in front of us.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net