[openstack-dev] Pluggable External Network Followup from Summit

Carl Baldwin carl at ecbaldwin.net
Mon May 19 21:51:28 UTC 2014

There was a question during my summit session on Friday at 4:00 about
providing diagrams.  There are diagrams in the specification [2] that
show where IP addresses are used in the various external network
schemes.  The first diagram, almost half-way down, shows the current
method which uses public IP addresses for everything.  The public IP
space is represented by the 203.0.113.0/24 range, a range reserved for
documentation.

Compare that diagram to the next one which substitutes some of the
public IP addresses for private in the 100.64.0.0/24 range.  This
range comes from 100.64.0.0/10 which is a private space allocated for
use on provider networks [3].  It is a great fit for this application
because its stated purpose makes it unfit for tenant networks but
perfect for a cloud provider to use under the hood.

The diagrams get a bit more complicated from there.  The next two
highlight the new floating IP namespace that the DVR implementation
uses.

Please review the specification in gerrit [1] and let me know if
something is not clear in the document.

Carl

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/88619/
[2] http://docs-draft.openstack.org/19/88619/5/check/gate-neutron-specs-docs/1261587/doc/build/html/specs/juno/pluggable-ext-net.html