[openstack-dev] [HEAT] Discussion: How to list nested stack resources.

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Mon May 19 16:39:57 UTC 2014

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 03:26:22PM +0000, Tim Schnell wrote:
> Hi Nilakhya,
>
> As Randall mentioned we did discuss this exact issue at the summit. I was
> planning on putting a blueprint together today to continue the discussion.
> The Stack Preview call is already doing the necessary recursion to gather
> the resources so we discussed being able to pass a stack id to the preview
> endpoint to get all of the resources.
>
> However, after thinking about it some more, I agree with Randall that
> maybe this should be an extra query parameter passed to the resource-list
> call. I'Ll have the blueprint up later today, unless you have already
> started on it.

Note there is a patch from Anderson/Richard which may help with this:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/85781/

The idea was to enable easier introspection of resources backed by nested
stacks in a UI, but it could be equally useful to generate a "tree"
resource view in the CLI client by walking the links.

This would obviously be less efficient than recursing inside the engine,
but arguably the output would be much more useful if it retains the nesting
structure, as opposed to presenting a fully flattened "soup" of resources
with no idea which stack/layer they belong to.

Steve