[openstack-dev] [oslo] Logging exceptions and Python 3

Igor Kalnitsky ikalnitsky at mirantis.com
Mon May 19 11:52:36 UTC 2014

*@Victor:*

> " six.text_type(exc): always use Unicode. It may raise unicode error
depending
> on the exception, be careful. Example of such error in python 2:
> unicode(Exception("nonascii:\xe9")). "

It's very rare situation. Actually, it's no sense since we know nothing
about exception's encoding. Without encoding it's nothing more, but
bytes, while logging is a text stream first of all.

So I agree with @Johannes here. We need to use unicode for text streams,
or at least ASCII-compatible str objects.

*@Johannes:*

> If a third party library raises exceptions with strings in an encoding
> other than ASCII, they should be shot :)

+1

> I don't understand the problem.
>
> What are you expecting from unicode(exc)? What exceptions don't meet
> that expectation?

Sorry if you misunderstood me. My point is sometimes str() or unicode()
don't give us the result we expecting for because of user's exception
hierarchy.

For instance, web.py's exception just shows you a status code, and doesn't
print the exception's message. The problem is in library, not in approach,
but shit happens and I don't see problems with using direct access to
attribute, if library's documentation gives a grantee that we can use
attributes for getting exception message.

In that case, I propose not to do an explicit conversion, and leave
this task for logging module.

- Igor