[openstack-dev] A VM with multiple images that boot off a non-first image

Shaheed Haque shahhaqu at cisco.com
Sat May 17 19:11:41 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I have the need to support a VM which (a) comprises multiple disk images, and
(b) boots off a disk which is not the first disk. I've read the docs, played
with:

	nova boot --image (and also --ephemeral)

	nova boot --block-device-mapping

	nova boot --block-device and its boot_index

and I think that what I need is something like this:

	nova boot --block-device=diskimage0,type=?? \
				--block-device=diskimage1,type=?? \
	          --block-device=diskimage2,type=??,boot-index=0

On Havana h1 at least, all that seems to do is to rename the boot device from
vda to vdc. I see several launchpad entries in this vague area, but am left
wondering if this is beyond what is actually possible even in Icehouse (which
I have not yet tried).

Any clues welcomed.

Thanks, Shaheed

P.S. AFAIK, I am not interested in anything which is volume-centric in the
first instance, as I need the same images to be loaded by multiple instances.