[openstack-dev] Approval process for Cinder Blueprints

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Sat May 17 18:33:20 UTC 2014

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 1:35 PM, Steven Sonnenberg <
steven.sonnenberg at hds.com> wrote:

>  Hi John,
>

> Can you please explain to me how the approval process for blueprints works.
>
> I have seen blueprints waiting for 6 or more months for approval, and
> others get approved rapidly (especially if they are from SolidFire).
>
> Please explain how this is supposed to work.
>

> Thanks,
>
> -steve

​Hi Steve,

Some BluePrints come with communication, in other words the folks that are
interested in working on them tend to communicate with the rest of the team
and the Community which helps quite a bit.

To be clear, I'm not sure what the comment regarding "especially SolidFire"
was meant to be taken as, but I can assure you that an individual's
affiliation has nothing to do with BluePrint approval (and frankly I'm not
aware that there was significant BluePrint activity from SolidFire so that
seems odd as well).​  If on the other hand they communicate with the Cinder
team they have a much higher chance of something being approved rather than
rotting away and being missed.

I would also like to point out that we are in the process of changing the
approval system to try and address exactly this sort of situation.  We're
moving towards using a specs submission via Gerrit to try and get better
organization and visibility of the BluePrints.

I did approve a couple of HDS BluePrints last night, however I must be
missing some, as I only found 2.

One other thing to keep in mind, there's an awful lot of activity around
BluePrints, Submissions and reviews.  It's not uncommon for myself and
other Cinder core team members to miss something.  You can actually help
with this, you can help with reviews, bug triage and Blue Print reviews,
and work with the rest of the team to prioritize and get things moving
along faster.

Finally, I'd also like to point out that waiting for approval on a
BluePrint should not necessarily preclude you from working on something.

I've added openstack-dev to the CC list here, you'll have much better luck
getting help from folks (including this list) by posting via this list.

Let me know which BluePrints have been missed, and of course if there's
been any work done on them in the six months since they were submitted.  Be
patient if you could and communicate via the ML or IRC.  I'm only one
person and there are is an extremely high volume of BluePrints that get
dropped in LaunchPad with zero communication.  As a result things get
missed, but if you communicate and give me a heads up we have a better
chance at being successful.

Thanks,
John