[openstack-dev] [Openstack-docs] [Heat][Documentation] Heat template documentation

Gauvain Pocentek gauvain.pocentek at objectif-libre.com
Fri May 16 14:23:18 UTC 2014

Le 2014-05-15 18:32, Steve Baker a écrit :
> On 15/05/14 11:54, Gauvain Pocentek wrote:
>> (Resending to add openstack-dev)
>>
>> Gauvain Pocentek
>>
>> Objectif Libre - Infrastructure et Formations Linux
>> http://www.objectif-libre.com
>>
>> Le 2014-05-15 17:34, Gauvain Pocentek a écrit :
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> This mail probably mainly concerns the doc team, but I guess that
>>> the
>>> heat team wants to know what's going on.
>>>
>>> We've shortly discussed the state of heat documentation with Anne
>>> Gentle and Andreas Jaeger yesterday, and I'd like to share what we
>>> think would be nice to do.
>>>
>>> Currently we only have a small section in the user guide that
>>> describes how to start a stack, but nothing documenting how to write
>>> templates. The heat developer doc provides a good reference, but I
>>> think it's not easy to use to get started.
>>>
>>> So the idea is to add an "OpenStack Orchestration" chapter in the
>>> user guide that would document how to use a cloud with heat, and how
>>> to write templates.
>>>
>>> I've drafted a spec to keep track of this at [0].
>>>
>>> Let me know if this sounds OK to you all.
>>>
>>> Gauvain Pocentek
>>>
>>> Objectif Libre - Infrastructure et Formations Linux
>>> http://www.objectif-libre.com
>>>
>>> [0]:
>>> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+spec/heat-templates
>>>
> Thanks for raising this, I do hope I can help writing the content.

Thanks!

> In
> addition to this, we will at some point need to port the resource
> reference generation to this guide as well.

That would be nice. I'm not sure if the user guide is the proper book,
but we'll figure out where to put this with the doc team.
One thing that would be really useful for users would be to have
versioned references. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that only the
trunk doc is published on the developers doc site. It makes it hard to
know which resources are available for a specific version of openstack.

Thanks,
Gauvain