[openstack-dev] [Mistral] Why keystone token validation fails in PyCharm, and how to fix it

Dmitri Zimine dz at stackstorm.com
Tue May 13 02:25:06 UTC 2014

The problem: Keystone authentication on MAC works from command line, but fails when run from PyCharm. And I want to run PyCharm to debug!

The root cause: Keystone uses openssl cms which is only available in new openssl.  I installed openssl via brew, and got it in /usr/local/bin. Terminal works just fine because I have paths properly setup in /etc/paths file. But PyCharm and other non-terminal applications dont use it!

The right solution:
     create a file /etc/launchd.conf with the following line:
     setenv PATH /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/opt/X11/bin

The hack solution is:
     sudo mv /usr/bin/openssl /usr/bin/openssl_bak
     sudo ln -s /usr/bin/local/openssl /usr/bin/openssl