[openstack-dev] [all] Beware Jenkins loops when commenting on old/draft patch sets

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Fri May 9 17:16:39 UTC 2014

Hi,

As you can see on https://review.openstack.org/#/c/77924/ I was
fortunate enough to find a new way to trigger a Jenkins loop.  In
talking to infra, it seems the problem occurs when a comment is added to
an older patch set (as in patch set 2 of a change with 3 patch sets) of
a change that hasn't had a Jenkins vote in 72 hours.

Note that in the case of the patch linked above, I intended to comment
on the latest patch set but it went to an older patch set because of the
draft status of the patch, so I would suggest not commenting on draft
patches (drafts are evil anyway, so please don't use them.  WIP is your
friend. :-).

Infra is working on a solution to the problem, but in the meantime be
very careful about commenting on old or draft patch sets.  This loop can
generate a _lot_ of comments in a short time.  I got 123 Gerrit e-mails
in the minute that the loop was running.

Note that abandoning the patch seemed to break the loop, but that won't
always be an option so it's really better to just avoid it in the first
place.

If you have any questions, I suggest you ask in #openstack-infra since
they know more about this than I do.

Thanks.

-Ben