[openstack-dev] [qa] Checking for return codes in tempest client calls

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Fri May 9 15:29:03 UTC 2014

On Thu, May 08, 2014 at 09:50:03AM -0400, David Kranz wrote:
> On 05/07/2014 10:48 AM, Ken'ichi Ohmichi wrote:
> >Hi Sean,

> >>Do we still have instances where we want to make a call that we know
> >>will fail and not through the exception?
> >>
> >>I agree there is a certain clarity in putting this down in the rest
> >>client. I just haven't figured out if it's going to break some behavior
> >>that we currently expect.
> >If a server returns unexpected status code, Tempest fails with client
> >validations
> >like the following sample:
> >
> >Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "/opt/stack/tempest/tempest/api/compute/servers/test_servers.py",
> >line 36, in test_create_server_with_admin_password
> >     resp, server = self.create_test_server(adminPass='testpassword')
> >   File "/opt/stack/tempest/tempest/api/compute/base.py", line 211, in
> >create_test_server
> >     name, image_id, flavor, **kwargs)
> >   File "/opt/stack/tempest/tempest/services/compute/json/servers_client.py",
> >line 95, in create_server
> >     self.validate_response(schema.create_server, resp, body)
> >   File "/opt/stack/tempest/tempest/common/rest_client.py", line 596,
> >in validate_response
> >     raise exceptions.InvalidHttpSuccessCode(msg)
> >InvalidHttpSuccessCode: The success code is different than the expected one
> >Details: The status code(202) is different than the expected one([200])
> >

> >Thanks
> >Ken'ichi Ohmichi

> Note that there are currently two different methods on RestClient
> that do this sort of thing. Your stacktrace shows
> "validate_response" which expects to be passed a schema. The other
> is "expected_success" which takes the expected response code and is
> only used by the image clients.
> Both of these will need to stay around since not all APIs have
> defined schemas but the expected_success method should probably be
> changed to accept a list of valid success responses rather than just
> one as it does at present.

So expected_success() is just a better way of doing something like:

assert.Equals(resp.status, 200)

There isn't anything specific about the images clients with it.
validate_response() should just call expected_success(), which I pushed out
here:
https://review.openstack.org/93035

> I hope we can get agreement to move response checking to the client.
> There was no opposition when we started doing this in nova to check
> schema. Does any one see a reason to not do this? It would both
> simplify the code and make sure responses are checked in all cases.
>
> Sean, do you have a concrete example of what you are concerned about
> here? Moving the check from the value returned by a client call to
> inside the client code should not have any visible effect unless the
> value was actually wrong but not checked by the caller. But this
> would be a bug that was just found if a test started failing.

Please draft a spec/bp for doing this, we can sort out the implementation
details in the spec review. There is definitely some overlap with the jsonschema
work though so we need to think about how to best integrate the 2 efforts. For
example, for projects that don't use jsonschema yet does it make sense to start
using jsonschema files like we do for nova tests to veriy the status codes. Just
so we can have a common path for doing this. I think there may be value in doing
it that way. We can discuss it more during the jsonschema summit session.

-Matt Treinish