[openstack-dev] [Neutron] ML2 extensions info propagation

Mathieu Rohon mathieu.rohon at gmail.com
Fri May 9 10:29:57 UTC 2014

Hi mohammad,

On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 5:11 PM, Mohammad Banikazemi <mb at us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hi Mathieu,
>
> Yes, the enhancement of the get_device_details method sounds like an
> interesting and useful option.
> The option of using drivers in the agent for supporting extensions is to
> make the agent more modular and allow for selectively supporting extensions
> as needed by a given agent.If we take the approach you are suggesting and
> eliminate or reduce the use of extension specific RPCs how can we achieve
> the modularity goal above? Is there a way to make these options useful
> together? More broadly, what would be the impact of your proposal on the
> modularity of the agent (if any)?

I don't think this approach breaks the modularity architecture you
proposed. It is more about building a driver context as it is done in the
ML2 plugin, based on informations received through RPC (while ML2 build its
driver context base on information received through API Call). This driver
context populated with RPC informations would then be spread among drivers.
I think that for readability and code understanding, it would be great to
share this achitecture with ML2 plugin. Moreover, this might be needed if
you want to support several implementation of the same extension in one
agent.

> Please note that as per discussion during the ML2 meeting yesterday we are
> going to have a single etherpad for each of ML2 sessions. The etherpad for
> the Modular Layer 2 Agent session can be found at [2] from your original
> email below. We may reorganize the information that is already there but
> please do add your comments there.

done! I will also update the etherpad [1]

thanks  Kyle and Mohammad for your reply

Mathieu