[openstack-dev] [Mistral][Heat] Feedback on the Mistral DSL

Renat Akhmerov rakhmerov at mirantis.com
Thu May 8 05:17:37 UTC 2014

Hi Zane,

Great feedback! My comments below...

On 07 May 2014, at 22:29, Zane Bitter <zbitter at redhat.com> wrote:

> The first thing that struck me looking at https://github.com/stackforge/mistral-extra/tree/master/examples/create_vm is that I have to teach Mistral how to talk to Nova. I can't overstate how surprising this is as a user, because Mistral is supposed to want to become a part of OpenStack. It should know how to talk to Nova! There is actually an existing DSL for interacting with OpenStack[1], and here's what the equivalent operation looks like:
>
> os server create $server_name --image $image_id --flavor $flavor_id --nic net-id=$network_id
>
> Note that this is approximately exactly 96.875% shorter (or 3200% shorter, if you're in advertising).
>
> This approach reminds me a bit of TOSCA, in the way that it requires you to define every node type before you use it. (Even TOSCA is moving away from this by developing a Simple Profile that includes the most common ones in the box - an approach I assume/hope you're considering also.) The stated reason for this is that they want TOSCA templates to run on any cloud regardless of its underlying features (rather than take a lowest-common-denominator approach, as other attempts at hybrid clouds have done). Contrast that with Heat, which is unapologetically an orchestration system *for OpenStack*.

Fully understandable. Originally we did want to build a really generic service with minimal knowledge about an infrastructure in which it would work. And we wanted to build something really simple and were afraid of blowing the framework with too many features related to OpenStack services. Because if we had started adding, for example, Nova actions then we would have probably had to include others like Cinder, Neutron etc. etc. and the question was “Where should we stop? Where is the line that we shouldn’t cross?”.

However, since then our opinion (at least my personal) has changed regarding this question and that’s we we’ve designed our action subsystem easy to enable plugins. So along with “std” namespace that is given out of the box there will be others like “nova”, may be implemented as a separate additional project for better arch decomposition but that’s a different question.. This work is not finished yet, one of the things we wanted to do is to gather as much feedback as possible before the summit and at the summit itself but, I’m now 99% sure we need to move forward to having all the action packs to enable users to natively use all core OpenStack services.

So basically I agree with you on that one. What you saw in the demo was mostly intended to demonstrate how you can extend existing actions by describing adapters to them right in DSL. But I guess it’s my fault that I didn’t deliver that message.

> I note from the screencast that Mistral's stated mission is to:
>
>  Provide a mechanism to define and execute
>  tasks and workflows *in OpenStack clouds*
>
> (My emphasis.) IMO the design doesn't reflect the mission. You need to decide whether you are trying to build the OpenStack workflow DSL or the workflow DSL to end all workflow DSLs.
>

> That problem could be solved by including built-in definitions for core OpenStack service in a similar way to std.* (i.e. take the TOSCA Simple Profile approach), but I'm actually not sure that goes far enough. The lesson of Heat is that we do best when we orchestrate *only* OpenStack APIs.

Yes, it is related with my previous comment. I really do believe we shouldn’t be trying to build a OpenStack agnostic workflow DSL (and service). Excessive generalization is evil as well as excessive specialization so we need to find a good balance. But we’re definitely building a workflow service for OpenStack and are intended to moving to making OpenStack services to easy and natively use in Mistral.

And please note that this part just wasn’t the main focus of the first phase of development. We rather wanted to try out the approach itself and show the community what we got as a result of our research. Even though the release version is 0.0.2 (for purely technical reasons) we still consider it sort of a PoC in a sense that we may want to change DSL and design pretty significantly.

> For example, when we started working on Heat, there was no autoscaling in OpenStack so we implemented it ourselves inside Heat. Two years later, there's still no autoscaling in OpenStack other than what we implemented, and we've been struggling for a year to try to split Heat's implementation out into a separate API so that everyone can use it.
>
> Looking at things like std.email, I feel a similar way about them. OpenStack is missing something equivalent to SNS, where a message on a queue can trigger an email or another type of notification, and a lot of projects are going to eventually need something like that. It would be really unfortunate if all of them went out and invented it independently. It's much better to implement such things as their own building blocks that can be combined together in complex ways rather than adding that complexity to a bunch of services.

Yes, this makes sense to me. We need to include an item into the roadmap (may be not only Mistral’s) to explore more on that.

> Such a notification service could even be extended to do std.http-like ReST calls, although personally the whole idea of OpenStack services calling out to arbitrary HTTP APIs makes me extremely uncomfortable. Much better IMO to just post messages to queues and let the receiver (long) poll for it.

On one hand I understand why it makes you uncomfortable, on the other hand I don’t see any serious evil of making it possible. I think eventually one can find plenty of ways of doing that if it’s needed but it will be just more painful. Btw, one of the reasons why we’ve been paying so much attention to HTTP requests is because we consider Mistral an implementation of EventScheduler proposal [1] which is basically all about webhooks scheduling which seems to be a pretty valid use case and I can imagine situations when I as a cloud user would want to do that.

> So I would favour a DSL that is *much* simpler, and replaces all of std.* with functions that call OpenStack APIs, and only OpenStack APIs, including the API for posting messages to Marconi queues, which would be the method of communication to the outside world. (If the latter part sounds a bit like SWF, it's for a good reason, but the fact that it would allow access directly to all of the OpenStack APIs before resorting to an SDK makes it much more powerful, as well as providing a solid justification for why this should be part of OpenStack.)

Yes, making DSL *much* simpler is what we think is one of our main goals. We’re on the same page here. From time to time we got the thought that we needed to make something universal to be able to use Mistral for any kind of automation and so its DSL should be a fully capable turing-complete language and so on.. However, most of the team (including myself) came to conclusion that we shouldn’t be trying to make a silver bullet and should rather focus on what would really make this technology valuable in OpenStack ecosystem. IMO if we make DSL more and more complex it will be a challenge to clearly say why we can’t just use python with some library support and do whatever we want. But if we keep DSL simple we can use it as a glue for high-level processes' decomposition and leverage regular languages at a client side to solve more specific problems. Just like SWF does but SWF, IMO, is not the best example of that kind of balance so we basically decided to try to improve their approach by adding simple DSL (which they don’t have at all).

Sorry for being a little bit verbose on that. The main point is “Yes, we’re targeting to being sort of SWF for OpenStack”.

> The ideal way to get support for all of the possible OpenStack APIs would be to do it by introspection on python-openstackclient. That means you'd only have to do the work once and it will stay up to date. This would avoid the problem we have in Heat, where we have to implement each resource type separately. (This is the source of a great deal of Heat's value to users - the existence of tested resource plugins - but also the thing that stops us from iterating the code quicker.)

Sure, agree on that one as well.

> I'm also unsure that it's a good idea for things like timers to be set up inside the DSL. I would prefer that the DSL just define workflows and export entry points to them. Then have various ways to trigger them: from the API manually, from a message to a Marconi queue, from a timer, &c. The latter two you'd set up through the Mistral API. If a user wanted a single document that set up one or more workflows and their triggers, a Heat template would do that job.

This actually a valid concern. And it’s one of the thing we still don’t have a full agreement within the team itself.
The main argument of the supporters of the current approach is “DSL is, in fact, API for Mistral in a way that can keep REST API itself minimal and take most of the things into DSL”. In other words, "Why would we want additional REST API calls if we could include all necessary information about triggers into DSL which is considered the main mechanism of interacting with Mistral?” I initially was on the opposite side because it just seemed a bad architectural decomposition leading to tight coupling between a workflow itself and ways how to start it. What if want to upload a workflow and then arbitrary want to change triggers not touching the workflow definition itself? However, having additional information now I tend to think that the current approach is ok because after all it will be just more convenient for users, they would need to have one API call instead of two and more in 90% cases. Another point is that on our roadmap we have a plan to implement workbook (a document written in DSL) composition so that one workbook could refer to another workbook and call a workflow from it. That way a user would give enough freedom to decide wether triggers should be a part of the same workbook which contains the workflow itself or be located in a separate workbook which would give the desired decomposition I mentioned before.

Anyway, it’s not a rock solid yet and we can think more or pros and cons of different approaches to that.

> I can see that your goal is to make a system that works with any existing application without changes. I think this is not so important as you think; the lesson of AWS is that developers will happily write their applications to use your service if you make it simple enough for them to understand. In a year's time will anybody think twice about spinning up a container to poll a message queue and proxy it into ReST calls, if that's what they need to do to interface to some legacy/outside code?

The technology should be simple, I agreed on that above. I’m honestly saying that sometimes we thought that Mistral should be positioned as a thing that you can use with any other service without any additional python/<whatever else language> coding just using Mistral DSL. So now we’ve, in fact, abandoned this idea for we've realized a lot ever since we started the project (including why SWF has the design that it has). And again, ReST calls is surely not a central place in how Mistral can interact with the outside world. Regarding this part, we now don’t think that we should be limiting ourselves here with just certain things like ReST or whatever else. This is actually a secondary thing. The main thing is that Mistral is a service for running workflows, specifically oriented at long-running processes (and hence it should be scalable and robust), a glue that is easy to use to get distributed components work within the scope of the same process.

> As I said at the beginning, you are the experts and you'll have to decide for yourselves how much of this feedback is relevant to Mistral. You certainly know a bunch of things that I don't about workflow-as-a-service. (I am, of course, interested in being re-educated!) But I hope that some of our experience on the Heat project might be helpful to you.

Zane, actually this feedback is really great! All you wrote is relevant . Thanks a lot, I hope we’ll be discussing all these things moving forward (including the summit).

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/EventScheduler

Renat Akhmerov
@ Mirantis Inc.