[openstack-dev] [Neutron][LBaaS][FWaaS][VPNaaS] Advanced Services (particularly LBaaS) and Neutron

Mark McClain mmcclain at yahoo-inc.com
Wed May 7 21:51:57 UTC 2014

On May 7, 2014, at 7:45 AM, Susanne Balle <sleipnir012 at gmail.com<mailto:sleipnir012 at gmail.com>> wrote:

Based on discussions with Rackspace, Mirantis, and others it is clear that the advanced services (i.e. LBaaS) in Neutron are not getting the attention and the support to move forward and create a first in class load-balancer service; from a service provider or operator's perspective. We currently have a lot of momentum and energy behind the LBaaS effort but are being told that the focus for Neutron is bug fixing given the instability in Neutron itself. While the latter is totally understandable, as a high priority for Neutron it leaves the advanced services out in the cold
The only reason the advance services team would be out in the cold is that members actively choose not to participate in the broader community.  The code, bugs, and reviews are open so contributing more devs resources for the stability fixes would have improved the velocity of stability improvements.

Some of the background reasoning for suggesting this is available at:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/AdvancedServices_and_Neutron

I’ve added comment there to provide additional information, but I do not think splitting these out are in the best interest of the community because of the logistical and technical problems it creates.  I’d rather see a deeper participation in the broader Neutron community.
Hope to see you there to discuss how we best make sure that the advanced services can support the many companies that rely on LBaaS or other advanced services for large scale deployment.

Look forward to discussing this,

mark