[openstack-dev] Monitoring as a Service

Sandy Walsh sandy.walsh at RACKSPACE.COM
Tue May 6 14:02:05 UTC 2014

On 5/6/2014 10:04 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> John Dickinson wrote:
>> One of the advantages of the program concept within OpenStack is that separate code projects with complementary goals can be managed under the same program without needing to be the same codebase. The most obvious example across every program are the "server" and "client" projects under most programs.
>>
>> This may be something that can be used here, if it doesn't make sense to extend the ceilometer codebase itself.
> +1
>
> Being under the Telemetry umbrella lets you make the right technical
> decision between same or separate codebase, as both would be supported
> by the organizational structure.
>
> It also would likely give you an initial set of contributors interested
> in the same end goals. So at this point I'd focus on engaging with the
> Telemetry program folks and see if they would be interested in that
> capability (inside or outside of the Ceilometer code base).

This is interesting.

I'd be curious to know more what "managed" means in this situation? Is
the core project expected to allocate time in the IRC meeting to the
concerns of these adjacent projects? What if the core project doesn't
agree with the direction or deems there's too much overlap? Does the
core team instantly have sway over the adjacent project?

Or does it simply mean we tag ML discussions with [Telemetry] and people
can filter accordingly?

I mean, this all sounds good in theory, but I'd like to know more about
the practical implementation of it. Related client and server projects
seem like the low-hanging fruit.

-S