[openstack-dev] [nova]The status of the hypervisor node and the service

Jiang, Yunhong yunhong.jiang at intel.com
Mon May 5 21:12:23 UTC 2014

Hi, all
    Currently I'm working on spec at https://review.openstack.org/#/c/90172/4 which return the status of the hypervisor node. Per the comments, including comments from operator, this is a welcome features. As in https://review.openstack.org/#/c/90172/4/specs/juno/return-status-for-hypervisor-node.rst#77 , I try to return the status as "up", "down", "disabled", which is in fact a mix of corresponding service's status and state.

	However, there are some disagreement on how to return the status. For example, should we return both the 'status' and 'state', and should we return the 'disabled reason' if the corresponding service is disabled.

	I have several questions that want to get feedback from the community:
a) Why do we distinguish he service 'status' and 'state'? What's the exact difference of 'state' and 'status' in English? IMHO, a service is 'up' when enabled, and is 'down' when either disabled or when temporally lost the heartbeat.

b) The difference of the hypervisor node status and service status. I know the relationship of 'node' and 'host' in still under discussion (http://junodesignsummit.sched.org/event/a0d38e1278182eb09f06e22457d94c0c#.U2fy3PldWrQ ), do you think the node status and the service status is in scope of this discussion? Or I should simply copy the status/state/disabled_reason in the hypvisor_node status? Would it be possible that in some virt driver, one hypervisor node can have its own status value different with the service value?

Thanks
--jyh