[openstack-dev] [oslo] Proposal: add local hacking for oslo-incubator

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Mon May 5 17:56:23 UTC 2014

On 05/05/2014 10:02 AM, ChangBo Guo wrote:
> Hi Stackers,
>
> I find some common code style would be avoided while I'm reviewing code
> ,so think these check would
> be nice to move into local hacking. The local hacking can ease reviewer
> burden.
>
> The idea from keystone blueprint [1].
> Hacking is a great start at automating checks for common style issues.
> There are still lots of things that it is not checking for that it
> probably should. The local hacking ease reviewer burden . This is the
> list of from [1][2] that would be nice to move into an automated check:
>
> - use import style 'from openstack.common.* import' not use 'import
> openstack.common.*'

This is the only one that I think belongs in Oslo.  The others are all
generally applicable, but the other projects aren't going to want to
enforce the import style since it's only to make Oslo syncs work right.

> - assertIsNone should be used when using None with assertEqual
> - _() should not be used in debug log statements
> -do not use 'assertTrue(isinstance(a, b)) sentence'
> -do not use 'assertEqual(type(A), B) sentence'

The _() one in particular I think we'll want as we make the logging
changes.  Some additional checks to make sure the the correct _ function
is used with the correct logging function would be good too (for
example, LOG.warning(_LE('foo')) should fail pep8).

But again, that belongs in hacking proper, not an Oslo module.

The assert ones do seem to fit the best practices as I understand them,
but I suspect there's going to be quite a bit of work to get projects
compliant.