[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Problem plugging I/F into Neutron...

Paul Michali (pcm) pcm at cisco.com
Mon Mar 31 16:50:53 UTC 2014

On Mar 31, 2014, at 12:25 PM, Darragh O'Reilly <dara2002-openstack at yahoo.com> wrote:

> ok, good to hear you are making progress. From the variable names in the script - ifname=$IFNAME_ETH2,vlan=2 - it sounds like this is a Neutron provider network. If so, then it should be possible to bridge the VM to the link with with a simple Linux bridge, without the need for a Neutron port and OVS/br-int.

I’d be interested in hearing more about that, Darragh, as this stuff is pretty new for me.  For this interface, it’s not a provider network.

eth0 is the management network, which is local to the host. I create a port on the host (192.168.200.3) and in the I/F up script a Neutron port is created and bound  (mgmt_p) and added to br-int using ova-vsctl.

eth1 is connected to the devstack public network as public_p, using br-ex (again all Neutron calls). I guess this would be a provider net.

eth2, the one in question, is connected to the devstack private network, as private_p.  I’m currently using Neutron, for the port create, and then Nova (with VIF object instead of dict), and it looks like it hooked up OK (even though the “details” are not being set as selected). Discussing with others, it sounds like I want to have the ova_hybrid_plug set anyway, so I’m commenting out the line I had and trying this:

port_id = port['port']['id']

instance = {'uuid': vm_uuid}
network = {'bridge': 'br-int'}

class VeryDangerousHack(network_model.VIF):
    def __init__(self, port_id, mac_addr, network):
        super(VeryDangerousHack, self).__init__(
            id=port_id, address=mac_addr, network=network,
            type=network_model.VIF_TYPE_OVS,
            # details={'ovs_hybrid_plug': False, 'port_filter': False},
            active=True)

vif = VeryDangerousHack(port_id, mac_addr, network)

# For ML2 plugin
driver = vif_driver.LibvirtGenericVIFDriver({})
driver.plug(instance, vif)

I’m re-stacking and will see if everything is OK (fingers crossed). There was some issue on my last try (without the line commented out), but the issue was with a the VM’s eht1 (public), which uses a different script (neutron only), so I’m trying from scratch just in case I’ve messed things up.

Regards,

PCM (Paul Michali)

MAIL …..…. pcm at cisco.com
IRC ……..… pcm_ (irc.freenode.com)
TW ………... @pmichali
GPG Key … 4525ECC253E31A83
Fingerprint .. 307A 96BB 1A4C D2C7 931D 8D2D 4525 ECC2 53E3 1A83