[openstack-dev] [nova] [bug] "nova server-group-list" doesn't show any members

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Thu Mar 27 23:38:06 UTC 2014

On 03/27/2014 04:47 PM, Chris Friesen wrote:

> Interestingly, unit test
> nova.tests.api.openstack.compute.contrib.test_server_groups.ServerGroupTest.test_display_members
> passes just fine, and it seems to be running the same sqlalchemy code.
>
> Is this a case where sqlite behaves differently from mysql?

Sorry to keep replying to myself, but this might actually hit us other
places.

Down in db/sqlalchemy/api.py we end up calling

query = query.filter(column_attr.op(db_regexp_op)('None'))

When using mysql, it looks like a regexp comparison of the string 'None'
against a NULL field fails to match.

Since sqlite doesn't have its own regexp function we provide one in
openstack/common/db/sqlalchemy/session.py.  In the buggy case we end up
calling it as regexp('None', None), where the types are "unicode" and
"NoneType".  However, we end up converting the second arg to text type
before calling reg.search() on it, so it matches.

Chris