[openstack-dev] [openstack-qa] Graduation Requirements + Scope of Tempest

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 19:27:47 UTC 2014

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 9:02 PM, Maru Newby <marun at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mar 26, 2014, at 12:59 PM, Joe Gordon <joe.gordon0 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 1:49 AM, Maru Newby <marun at redhat.com> wrote:

I agree with this sentiment, but I think this can be solved via tempest as
well.

> As to expertise, would you agree that we have a much greater need for QA
> expertise than the existing team can hope to meet?  I would argue that this
> is the case, and believe that the more we can diffuse a testing mentality
> from the QA team to the projects, the better off OpenStack will be.
>  Tempest has proven a very effective guardian against regression, but that
> role can only grow more difficult with time and a lack of focus will
> complicate the effort unnecessarily.

If Tempest doesn't have enough human resources, then teams should work
closer with tempest to fix that.

> As to framework, the talk of 'libifying' Tempest promises to allow the
> projects the same benefit of common framework that Tempest currently enjoys.
>

> > Yes 'merge-first, test-later' is bad. But There are other ways of fixing
> this then moving the tests out of tempest. Hopefully cross project
> dependencies in zuul will help make this workflow easier.
> >

> > The patch in question [1] proposes allowing pre-merge functional api
> test maintenance and test reuse in an integration environment.
> >

> > m.
> >
> > 1: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/72585/
> >
> > > IMO there are valid arguments on both sides, but I hope every one
> could agree that functional tests should not be arbitrarily split between
> projects and tempest as they are now. The Tempest README states a desire
> for "complete coverage of the OpenStack API" but Tempest is not close to
> that. We have been discussing and then ignoring this issue for some time
> but I think the recent action to say that Tempest will be used to determine
> if something can use the OpenStack trademark will force more completeness
> on tempest (more tests, that is). I think we need to resolve this issue but
> it won't be easy and modifying existing api tests to be more flexible will
> be a lot of work. But at least new projects could get on the right path
> sooner.
> >

> > This touches on another point that I forgot to bring up before.  As a
> cloud deployer I want a test suite that allows me to exercise all of my
> APIs to make sure everything is working. Although OpenStack runs extensive
> tests upstream, upstream cannot test every possible configuration, so as a
> deployer I would want rerun the same test suite. This is exactly why
> TripleO is getting ready to run tempest. Does this test suite have to just
> tempest? Perhaps not, but if we go down the road of moving more API tests
> into individual projects I think we still need easy way for a cloud
> deployer to run all the API tests against a live cloud from a single
> interface.
>
> I don't think project-maintained functional api tests would in any way
> preclude Tempest from continuing to be the go-to test suite for
> deployers/operators.  There is nothing stopping project-maintained
> functional api tests from being consumed by Tempest.  Tempest could
> explicitly depend on the projects, either the whole package or a special
> package that contained only the api tests.  Or Tempest could copy the api
> tests, as is done with oslo incubator.  In either case, the process could
> be purely mechanical.

I agree with you here, if we do decide to go down the route you are
proposing (functional tests outside of tempest repo), then having this
mechanism sorted out should be a pre-requisite.