[openstack-dev] [Congress] Policy types

Tim Hinrichs thinrichs at vmware.com
Thu Mar 27 15:27:59 UTC 2014

Hi Prabhakar,

I looked into this a while back.  pydatalog is a cool project, and I'd like to find time to study some of its algorithms and architecture a bit more.

The reason we rolled our own version of Datalog is that we knew we'd want the freedom to try out non-standard Datalog algorithms, and there are algorithms we will likely need that aren't usually included (query rewriting, skolemization, conversion to DNF, etc.).  I suppose we could have modified pydatalog, but given that it is basically an extension to Python, it seemed there would be significant overhead in figuring out the code, making sure to keep our changes compatible with the old, etc.  Rolling our own gives us the freedom to build exactly what we need with minimal distractions, which is important since we won't really know what we need until we start getting feedback from users.

But like I said, there are probably some good ideas in there, so if the way they deal with builtins is useful to us, great!  I'd just keep in mind that the benefit of using Datalog instead of Python is mainly that it *limits* what policy authors can say (without limiting it too much).

Tim