[openstack-dev] [all] sample config files should be ignored in git...

Michael Chapman woppin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 06:53:44 UTC 2014

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 4:10 PM, Robert Collins
<robertc at robertcollins.net>wrote:

> On 27 March 2014 17:30, Tom Fifield <tom at openstack.org> wrote:
>
> >> Does anyone disagree?
> >
> > /me raises hand
> >
> > When I was an operator, I regularly referred to the sample config files
> > in the git repository.
> >
> > If there weren't generated versions of the sample config in the repo, I
> > would probably grep the code (not an ideal user experience!). Running
> > some random script that I don't know about the existence and might
> > depend on having something else installed of is probably not something
> > that would happen.
>
> So, I think its important you have sample configs to refer to.
>
> Do they need to be in the git repo?
>
> Note that because libraries now export config options (which is the
> root of this problem!) you cannot ever know from the source all the
> options for a service - you *must* know the library versions you are
> running, to interrogate them for their options.
>
> We can - and should - have a discussion about the appropriateness of
> the layering leak we have today, but in the meantime this is breaking
> multiple projects every time any shared library that uses oslo.config
> changes any config option... so we need to solve the workflow aspect.
>
> How about we make a copy of the latest config for each project for
> each series - e.g. trunk of everything, Icehouse of servers with trunk
> of everything else, etc and make that easily acccessible?
>
> -Rob
>
> --
> Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
> Distinguished Technologist
> HP Converged Cloud

There are already some samples in the 'configuration reference' section of
docs.openstack, eg:

http://docs.openstack.org/havana/config-reference/content/ch_configuring-openstack-identity.html#sample-configuration-files

However the compute and image sections opt for a formatted table, and the
network section is more like an installation guide.

If the samples are to be removed from github, perhaps our configuration
reference section could be first and foremost the set of sample
configuration files for each project + plugin, rather than them being
merely a part of the reference doc as it currently exists.

I fairly consistently refer to the github copies of the samples. They also
allow me to refer to specific lines of the config when explaining concepts
over text. I am not against their removal, but if we were to remove them
I'd disappointed if I had to search very far on docs.openstack.org to get
to them, and I would want the raw files instead of something formatted.

 - Michael