[openstack-dev] [nova][scheduler] Availability Zones and Host aggregates..

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Wed Mar 26 17:15:24 UTC 2014

On 03/26/2014 10:47 AM, Vishvananda Ishaya wrote:
> Personally I view this as a bug. There is no reason why we shouldn’t
> support arbitrary grouping of zones. I know there is at least one
> problem with zones that overlap regarding displaying them properly:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1277230

There's also this bug that I reported a while back, where nova will let
you specify multiple host aggregates with the same zone name.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1213224

If the end user then specifies the availability zone for an instance, it
is unspecified which aggregate will be used.

> There is probably a related issue that is causing the error you see
> below. IMO both of these should be fixed. I also think adding a compute
> node to two different aggregates with azs should be allowed.
>
> It also might be nice to support specifying multiple zones in the launch
> command in these models. This would allow you to limit booting to an
> intersection of two overlapping zones.

Totally agree.  I actually mention both of these cases in the comments
for the bug above.

Chris