[openstack-dev] [nova][scheduler] Availability Zones and Host aggregates..

Sangeeta Singh singhs at yahoo-inc.com
Tue Mar 25 20:50:00 UTC 2014

Hi,

The availability Zones filter states that theoretically a compute node can be part of multiple availability zones. I have a requirement where I need to make a compute node part to 2 AZ. When I try to create a host aggregates with AZ I can not add the node in two host aggregates that have AZ defined. However if I create a host aggregate without associating an AZ then I can add the compute nodes to it. After doing that I can update the host-aggregate an associate an AZ. This looks like a bug.

I can see the compute node to be listed in the 2 AZ with the availability-zone-list command.

The problem that I have is that I can still not boot a VM on the compute node when I do not specify the AZ in the command though I have set the default availability zone and the default schedule zone in nova.conf.

I get the error “ERROR: The requested availability zone is not available”

What I am  trying to achieve is have two AZ that the user can select during the boot but then have a default AZ which has the HV from both AZ1 AND AZ2 so that when the user does not specify any AZ in the boot command I scatter my VM on both the AZ in a balanced way.

Any pointers.

Thanks,
Sangeeta