[openstack-dev] [Neutron] OVS 2.1.0 is available but not the Neutron ARP responder

Édouard Thuleau thuleau at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 15:51:06 UTC 2014

Hi all,

As promise, the blog post [1] about running devstack into containers.

[1]
http://dev.cloudwatt.com/en/blog/running-devstack-into-linux-containers.html

Regards,
Edouard.
Le 21 mars 2014 14:12, "Kyle Mestery" <mestery at noironetworks.com> a écrit :

> [...]
> help here, let me know. One other concern here is that the infra team may
> have
> issues running a version of OVS which isn't packaged into Ubuntu/CentOS.
> Keep
> that in mind as well.
>
> Edourard, I look forward to your blog, please share it here once you've
> written it!
>
> Thanks,
> Kyle
>

> On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 6:15 AM, Édouard Thuleau <thuleau at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Thanks Mathieu for your support and work onto CI to enable multi-node.
>>
>> I wrote a blog post about how to run devstack development environment
>> with LXC.
>> I hope it will be publish next week.
>>
>> Just add a pointer about OVS support network namespaces since 2 years ago
>> now [1].
>>
>> [1]
>> http://git.openvswitch.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=openvswitch;a=commitdiff;h=2a4999f3f33467f4fa22ed6e5b06350615fb2dac
>>
>> Regards,
>> Édouard.
>>

>> On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 11:31 AM, Mathieu Rohon <mathieu.rohon at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi edouard,
>>>
>>> thanks for the information. I would love to see your patch getting
>>> merged to have l2-population MD fully functional with an OVS based
>>> deployment. Moreover, this patch has a minimal impact on neutron,
>>> since the code is used only if l2-population MD is used in the ML2
>>> plugin.
>>>
>>> markmcclain was concerned that no functional testing is done, but
>>> L2-population MD needs mutlinode deployment to be tested. A deployment
>>> based on a single VM won't create overlay tunnels, which is a
>>> mandatory technology to have l2-population activated.
>>> The Opensatck-CI is not able, for the moment, to run job based on
>>> multi-node deployment. We proposed an evolution of devstack to have a
>>> multinode deployment based on a single VM which launch compute nodes
>>> in LXC containers [1], but this evolution has been refused by
>>> Opensatck-CI since there is other ways to run multinode setup with
>>> devstack, and LXC container is not compatible with iscsi and probably
>>> ovs [2][3].
>>>
>>> One way to have functional test for this feature would be to deploy
>>> 3rd party testing environment, but it would be a pity to have to
>>> maintain a 3rd party to test some functionalities which are not based
>>> on 3rd party equipments. So we are currently learning about the
>>> Openstack-CI tools to propose some evolutions to have mutinode setup
>>> inside the gate [4]. There are a lot of way to implement it
>>> (node-pools evolution, usage of tripleO, of Heat [5]), and we don't
>>> know which one would be the easiest, and so the one we have to work on
>>> to have the multinode feature available ASAP.
>>>
>>> This feature looks very important for Neutron, at least to test
>>> overlay tunneling. I thinks it's very important for nova too, to test

>>> [2]https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lxc/+bug/1226855
>>> [3]
>>> http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/infra/2014/infra.2014-02-18-19.01.log.html
>>> [4]