[openstack-dev] [nova][cinder] Refactor ISCSIDriver to support other iSCSI transports besides TCP

Shlomi Sasson shlomis at mellanox.com
Tue Mar 25 15:07:17 UTC 2014

Hi,

I want to share with the community the following challenge:
Currently, Vendors who have their iSCSI driver, and want to add RDMA transport (iSER), cannot leverage their existing plug-in which inherit from iSCSI
And must modify their driver or create an additional plug-in driver which inherit from iSER, and copy the exact same code.

Instead I believe a simpler approach is to add a new attribute to ISCSIDriver to support other iSCSI transports besides TCP, which will allow minimal changes to support iSER.
The existing ISERDriver code will be removed, this will eliminate significant code and class duplication, and will work with all the iSCSI vendors who supports both TCP and RDMA without the need to modify their plug-in drivers.

To achieve that both cinder & nova requires slight changes:
For cinder, I wish to add a  parameter called "transport" (default to iscsi) to distinguish between the transports and use the existing "iscsi_ip_address" parameter for any transport type connection.
For nova, I wish to add a parameter called "default_rdma" (default to false) to enable initiator side.
The outcome will avoid code duplication and the need to add more classes.

I am not sure what will be the right approach to handle this, I already have the code, should I open a bug or blueprint to track this issue?

Best Regards,
Shlomi