[openstack-dev] auto-delete in amqp "reply_*" queues in OpenStack

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Mon Mar 24 20:33:58 UTC 2014

On 03/24/2014 01:27 PM, Dmitry Mescheryakov wrote:
> I see two possible explanations for these 5 remaining queues:
>
>   * They were indeed recreated by 'compute' services. I.e. controller
> service send some command over rpc and then it was shut down. Its
> reply queue was automatically deleted, since its only consumer was
> disconnected. The compute services replied after that and so recreated
> the queue. According to Rabbit MQ docs, such queue will be stuck alive
> indefinitely, since it will never have a consumer.
>
>   * Possibly there are services on compute nodes which initiate RPC
> calls themselves. I don't know OpenStack architecture enough to say if
> services running on compute nodes do so. In that case these 5 queues
> are still used by compute services.
>
> Do Rabbit MQ management tools (web or cli) allow to view active
> consumers for queues? If yes, then you can find out which of the cases
> above you encountered. Or it maybe be some third case I didn't account
> for :-)

It appears that the cli tools do not provide a way to print the info,
but if you query a single queue via the web API it will give the IP
address and port of the consumers for the queue.  The vhost needs to be
URL-encoded, so the query looks something like this:

curl -i -u guest:guest
http://192.168.204.2:15672/api/queues/%2f/reply_08e35acffe2c4078ae4603f08e9d0997

Chris