[openstack-dev] Rolling upgrades in icehouse

Meghal Gosalia meghal at yahoo-inc.com
Mon Mar 24 18:55:47 UTC 2014

Hello folks,

I was reading a blogpost mentioned in the newsletter here - http://redhatstackblog.redhat.com/2014/03/11/an-icehouse-sneak-peek-openstack-compute-nova/
A note about rolling upgrades is mentioned -
The Compute services now allow for a level of rolling upgrade, whereby control services can be upgraded to Icehouse while they continue to interact with compute services running code from the Havana release. This allows for a more gradual approach to upgrading an OpenStack cloud, or logical designated subset thereof, than has typically been possible in the past.

Where can I obtain more information about this feature?
Does above imply that database is upgraded along with control service update as well?

One more question - is there an initiative to make icehouse database schema work with havana based control services ?
If control services were not tightly coupled with database schema, then I could move one half of control services out of rotation and update from havana to icehouse,
while other half is still serving traffic. This would help us achieve zero api downtime during upgrades.
Currently, upgrading first half from one release to another would update database schema and other half running old services does not work with new schema.

Thanks,
Meghal