[openstack-dev] [TripleO] test environment requirements

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Mon Mar 24 17:28:16 UTC 2014

On 2014-03-23 22:18, Robert Collins wrote:
> On 24 March 2014 14:06, Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:
>> Excerpts from Robert Collins's message of 2014-03-13 02:51:30 -0700:
>>> So we already have pretty high requirements - its basically a 16G
>>> workstation as minimum.
>>>
>>> Specifically to test the full story:
>>>  - a seed VM
>>>  - an undercloud VM (bm deploy infra)
>>>  - 1 overcloud control VM
>>>  - 2 overcloud hypervisor VMs
>>> ====
>>>    5 VMs with 2+G RAM each.
>>>
>>> To test the overcloud alone against the seed we save 1 VM, to skip the
>>> overcloud we save 3.
>>>
>>> However, as HA matures we're about to add 4 more VMs: we need a HA
>>> control plane for both the under and overclouds:
>>>  - a seed VM
>>>  - 3 undercloud VMs (HA bm deploy infra)
>>>  - 3 overcloud control VMs (HA)
>>>  - 2 overcloud hypervisor VMs
>>> ====
>>>    9 VMs with 2+G RAM each == 18GB
>>>

>> If we switch end-user-vm tests to cirros, and use a flavor that is really
>> really tiny, like 128M RAM, then I think we can downsize the development
>> environment hypervisors from 2G to 1G. That at least drops us to 16G. If
>> we can also turn off the seed as soon as the undercloud boots, that's
>> another 2G saved. Finally if we can turn off 1 of the undercloud VMs
>> and run degraded, that is another 2G saved.
>
> We can't turn off the seed unless we change the network topology; we
> need to make sure if we do that that we don't invalidate the test
> structure.
>
>> Small potatoes I know, but it wouldn't be complicated to do any of these
>> and it would also help test real scenarios we want to test (seed going
>> away, undercloud node going away).

> I like this.
>
> I also like much of the spread of ideas that came up - lets capture
> them to an etherpad and link that from a blueprint for future selves
> finding it.

I created an etherpad here:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/devtest-env-reqs

And linked it from the blueprint here:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/tripleo/+spec/test-environment-requirements

I only added some details about devtest on openstack for now since I
figured everyone else could add their thoughts in their own words.