[openstack-dev] Spec repos for blueprint development and review

James E. Blair jeblair at openstack.org
Mon Mar 24 16:34:56 UTC 2014

Hi,

So recently we started this experiment with the compute and qa programs
to try using Gerrit to review blueprints.  Launchpad is deficient in
this area, and while we hope Storyboard will deal with it much better,
but it's not ready yet.

As a development organization, OpenStack scales by adopting common tools
and processes, and true to form, we now have a lot of other projects
that would like to join the "experiment".  At some point that stops
being an experiment and becomes practice.

However, at this very early point, we haven't settled on answers to some
really basic questions about how this process should work.  Before we
extend it to more projects, I think we need to establish a modicum of
commonality that helps us integrate it with our tooling at scale, and
just as importantly, helps new contributors and people who are working
on multiple projects have a better experience.

I'd like to hold off on creating any new specs repos until we have at
least the following questions answered:

a) Should the specs repos be sphinx documents?
b) Should the follow the Project Testing Interface[1]?
c) Some basic agreement on what information is encoded?
   eg: don't encode implementation status (it should be in launchpad)
   do encode branches (as directories? as ...?)
d) Workflow process -- what are the steps to create a new spec and make
   sure it also exists and is tracked correctly in launchpad?

-Jim

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/ProjectTestingInterface