[openstack-dev] Multiple patches in one review

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Mon Mar 24 15:08:58 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 8:31 AM, John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com> wrote:

> When a change is complex good practice is to break the change into a
> series of smaller individual patches that show the individual
> incremental steps needed to get to the final goal. When partitioned into
> small steps each change is easier to review and hopefully illustrates
> the progression.

Definitely agree, however I've noticed people aren't necessarily very
*good* about breaking these into logical pieces sometimes.  In other words
it becomes random changes throughout multiple patches; in most cases it
seems to be after-thoughts or just what the submitter managed to work on at
the time.

Personally I'd love to see these be a bit more well thought out and
organized for my own sake as a reviewer.  While we're at it (I realize this
isn't the case you're talking about) I also would REALLY like to not see 5
individual patches all dependent on each other and all just changing one or
two lines (I was seeing this quite a bit this cycle, and the only thing I
can think of is perhaps it's developers getting some sort of points for
number of commits).