[openstack-dev] [Nova] Updates to Juno blueprint review process

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Sat Mar 22 10:14:29 UTC 2014

On 03/21/2014 02:55 PM, Stefano Maffulli wrote:
> On 03/20/2014 03:50 PM, Jay Lau wrote:
>> It is better that we can have some diagram workflow just like
>> Gerrit_Workflow <https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Gerrit_Workflow> to
>> show the new process.
>
> Indeed, I think it would help.
>
> While I'm here, and for the records, I think that creating a new
> workflow 'temporarily' only until we have Storyboard usable, is a *huge*
> mistake. It seems to me that you're ignoring or at least underestimating
> the amount of *people* that will need to be retrained, the amount of
> documentation that need to be fixed/adjusted. And the confusion that
> this will create on the 'long tail' developers.
>
> A change like this, done with a couple of announcements on a mailing
> list and a few mentions on IRC is not enough to steer the ~400
> developers who may be affected by this change. And then we'll have to
> manage the change again when we switch to Storyboard. If I were you, I'd
> focus on getting storyboard ready to use asap, instead.
>
> There, I said it, and I'm now going back to my cave.
>
> .stef

Honestly, I largely disagree. This is applying some process where there
clearly wasn't any before. For people that aren't creating new
blueprints, nothing changes, except the blueprints they see in launchpad
are 100x more useful to understand what features the community is
interested in.

For people submitting blueprints, there is now actual guidance, instead
of randomly throw things into launchpad and not realize why your patch
is -2ed at milestone 3.

Storyboard remains vaporware. I will be enormously happy when it is not.
But you can't have people sit around waiting on vaporware, ever. Because
software that doesn't exist and people don't have to use always
magically seems to solve problems better than software that does exist.

I don't think anything about this process is incompatible with
Storyboard. The workflow will be very similar given any tracker. And I
expect the workflow might evolve over time if Storyboard can help more.
I honestly think spec review was completely outside of it's use case. So
I look forward to evolving the process with Storyboard once it's
actually a tool we use and not a Unicorn we talk about.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
Samsung Research America