[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-dev][NOVA][VCDriver][live-migration] VCDriver live migration problem

Shawn Hartsock hartsock at acm.org
Sat Mar 22 09:13:58 UTC 2014

Hi Jay. We usually use [vmware] to tag discussion of VMware things. I
almost didn't see this message.

In short, there is a plan and we're currently blocked because we have
to address several other pressing issues in the driver before we can
address this one. Part of this is due to the fact that we can't press
harder on blueprints or changes to the VCDriver right now.

I actually reported this bug and we've discussed this at
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/VMwareAPI the basic problem
is that live-migration actually "works" but you can't presently
formulate a command that activates the feature from the CLI under some
configurations. That's because of the introduction of clusters in the
VCDriver in Havana.

To fix this, we have to come up with a way to target a host inside the
cluster (as I pointed out in the bug) or we have to have some way for
a live migration to occur between clusters and a way to validate that
this can happen first.

As for the priority of this bug, it's been set to Medium which puts it
well behind many of the Critical or High tasks on our radar. As for
fixing the bug, no new outward behaviors or API are going to be
introduced and this was working at one point and now it's stopped. To
call this a new feature seems a bit strange.

So, moving forward... perhaps we need to re-evaluate the priority
order on some of these things. I tabled Juno planning during the last
VMwareAPI subteam meeting but I plan on starting the discussion next
week. We have a priority order for blueprints that we set as a team
and these are publicly recorded in our meeting logs and on the wiki.
I'll try to do better advertising these things. You are of course
invited... and yeah... if you're interested in what we're fixing next
in the VCDriver that next IRC meeting is where we'll start the
discussion.

# Shawn.Hartsock - twitter: @hartsock - plus.google.com/+ShawnHartsock