[openstack-dev] [nova] Backwards incompatible API changes

David Kranz dkranz at redhat.com
Fri Mar 21 20:24:31 UTC 2014

On 03/21/2014 02:18 PM, Chris Behrens wrote:

> FWIW, I'm fine with any of the options posted. But I'm curious about
> the precedence that reverting would create. It essentially sounds like
> if we release a version with an API bug, the bug is no longer a bug in
> the API and the bug becomes a bug in the documentation. The only way
> to 'fix' the API then would be to rev it. Is that an accurate
> representation and is that desirable? Or do we just say we take these
> on a case-by-case basis?
>
> - Chris
It has to be on a case-by-case basis. Obviously if fixing a security bug
required an api change we would make it. But as the eco-system around
the OpenStack APIs continue to grow, there should be a higher and higher
bar based on what is gained by the change. In my view, we are well past
the point where the value of a change like this one would justify
violating the API stability guidelines.

There was a related discussion about getting more eyes on changes that
propose to be excepted from the API stability guidelines here
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-January/023254.html

  -David