[openstack-dev] [Nova] Updates to Juno blueprint review process

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 19:38:00 UTC 2014

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 12:16 PM, Tim Bell <Tim.Bell at cern.ch> wrote:

> I am a strong advocate of the Blueprint-on-Blueprints process we discussed
> in the operator mini-summit so that experienced cloud administrators can
> give input before lots of code is written (
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/operators-feedback-mar14) but we need to
> be aware that these people with real life experience of the impact of
> changes on production clouds may not be working with gerrit day-to-day.
>
> There has been some excellent work by the documentation team in the past
> year to make it easy for new contributors to work on improvements to the
> documentation which also helps to introduce the tools/processes to the
> novices.
>
> Can we find a way to keep the bar low for the review of blueprints while
> at the same time making sure we engage the full community spectrum in the
> future direction of OpenStack ?

A lot of work has gone into making code review have a very low barrier to
entry, the nova-specs uses the same process.

Going through the etherpad list I think we hit almost everything.

   1. Operator Review of new features - Blueprint on Blueprints (aka BOB) -
   aim: apply a consistent operational view to all the things

   1. Specific information put into blueprints
   2.
   3.   http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/nova-specs/tree/template.rst

   1. Blueprint alerts

     Use gerrit  to watch the nova-specs repo using
   https://review.openstack.org/#/settings/projects. This will let you get
   emails every time a new BP is posted

   1. Operators in design summit sessions
   2.
      1.     Not sure what the blockers are on this one. nova-specs doesn't
      directly relate to to the summit.

   1. BluePrint Review Process (gerrit?)
   2.
   3.