[openstack-dev] [nova][cinder] non-persistent storage(after stopping VM, data will be rollback automatically), do you think we shoud introduce this feature?

Duncan Thomas duncan.thomas at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 19:34:36 UTC 2014

On 17 March 2014 11:34, Yuzhou (C) <vitas.yuzhou at huawei.com> wrote:
> Hi Duncan Thomas,
>
>         Maybe the statement about approval process is not very exact. In fact in my mail, I mean:
> In the enterprise private cloud, if beyond the quota, you want to create a new VM ,that needs to wait for approval process.

I'm still failing to understand something here. If you're over your
quota, you need a bigger quota. The entire idea of cloud is that
resources are created and deleted on demand, not perfectly laid out in
advance and never changed. If you're over quota, you need to reduce
your workload or get more quota. That is the cloud answer. Putting in
weird behaviours that make no sense unless you're working at the very
edge of your quota is not a path I think we want to go down.

I've said it in other threads, but it bears repeating: Every new API,
method, function we add comes at a significant and growing maintenance
and testing cost. We need to evaluate new features carefully, and if
something can trivially be done by stringing together a couple of
existing primitives (like this case) we probably don't want to go add
new behaviours, particularly if the only advantage of the new
behaviour is that it enables you to do something when you're very
tight for quota.

If a private cloud has a billing model with perverse incentives, then
fix the billing model. If many/most of your users are constantly
running at the edge of their quota, particularly while doing
development or evaluation, you probably want to rethink your cloud
strategy - you might be able to paper over one crack but you are going
to find there are a million others.