[openstack-dev] Offset support in REST API pagination

Duncan Thomas duncan.thomas at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 19:24:53 UTC 2014

On 18 March 2014 18:30, Steven Kaufer <kaufer at us.ibm.com> wrote:
> I realize that if only one solution had to be chosen, then limit/marker
> would always win this war. But why can't both be supported?

One reason is that every line of extra code has a testing and
maintenance cost, so the real question isn't 'why shouldn't we add it'
but 'is this feature worth the effort'? The combination of filtering
and pagination was recently found to be fundamentally broken in cinder
(since fixed), and it took some significant time for this to be
noticed. The more options you have, the more likely you are to have
this sort of combinatorial bug.

At the very least, anybody submitting this feature to cinder is going
to find themselves writing some /very/ comprehensive unit tests, for
both methods of pagination, with and without filtering, if they want
to see it merged.