[openstack-dev] [Marconi][TC] Withdraw graduation request

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Mar 21 10:23:56 UTC 2014

Flavio Percoco wrote:
> [...]
> 4. We've seen the value - and believe in it - of OpenStack's
> incubation period. During this period, the project has gained
> maturity in its API, supported drivers and integration with the
> overall community.
> [...]

Thanks Flavio, I think that's the right choice.

Not graduating should not be seen as a failure. In this precise case, I
think timing was a bit short, and the TC significantly raised the bar
*during* the cycle by codifying clearer and stricter graduation
requirements.

The discussion around graduation also revealed communication issues:
late questions about Marconi's design and scope, or misunderstandings on
QA requirements. Incubation is not just technical thing, it's also a
social thing: it should be considered complete once you feel at home
with the rest of the OpenStack integrated community (and the other way
around).

I hope an additional cycle of incubation will give you more time to
explain, promote Marconi in the wider community, and engage more
directly with the other programs. In this cycle where we constantly
raised the graduation bar, I think Sahara managed to keep up against all
odds because of Sergey's "presence" in horizontal programs like Infra.

Let's all make the best of this additional incubation cycle to all get
more comfortable with each other :)

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)