[openstack-dev] [Marconi][TC] Withdraw graduation request

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Thu Mar 20 22:59:38 UTC 2014

Greetings,

I'm sending this email on behalf of Marconi's team.

As you already know, we submitted our graduation request a couple of
weeks ago and the meeting was held on Tuesday, March 18th. During the
meeting very important questions and issues were raised that made
us think and analyse our current situation and re-think about what
the best for OpenStack and Marconi would be in this very moment.

After some considerations, we've reached the conclusion that this is
probably not the right time for this project to graduate and that
it'll be fruitful for the project and the OpenStack community if we
take another development cycle before coming out from incubation. Here
are some things we took under consideration:

1. It's still not clear to the overall community what the goals of
the project are. It is not fair for Marconi as a project nor for
OpenStack as a community to move forward with this integration when
there are still open questions about the project goals.

2. Some critical issues came out of our attempt to have a gate job.
For the team, the project and the community this is a very critical
point. We've managed to have the gate working but we're still not
happy with the results.

3. The drivers currently supported by the project don't cover some
important cases related to deploying it. One of them solves a
licensing issue but introduces a scale issue whereas the other one
solves the scale issue and introduces a licensing issue. Moreover,
these drivers have created quite a confusion with regards to what the
project goal's are too.

4. We've seen the value - and believe in it - of OpenStack's
incubation period. During this period, the project has gained
maturity in its API, supported drivers and integration with the
overall community.

5. Several important questions were brought up in the recent ML
discussions. These questions take time, effort but also represent a
key point in the support, development and integration of the project
with the rest of OpenStack. We'd like to dedicate to this questions
the time they deserve.

6. There are still some open questions in the OpenStack community
related to the graduation requirements and the required supported
technologies of integrated projects.

Based on the aforementioned points, the team would like to withdraw
the graduation request and remain an incubated project for one
more development cycle.

During the upcoming months, the team will focus on solving the issues
that arose as part of last Tuesday's meeting. If possible, we would
like to request a meeting where we can discuss with the TC - and
whoever wants to participate - a set of *most pressing issues* that
should be solved before requesting another graduation meeting. The
team will be focused on solving those issues and other issues down
that road.

Although the team believes in the project's technical maturity, we think
this is what is best for OpenStack and the project itself
community-wise. The open questions are way too important for the team
and the community and they shouldn't be ignored nor rushed.

I'd also like to thank the team and the overall community. The team
for its hard work during the last cycle and the community for being there
and providing such important feedback in this process. We look forward
to see Marconi graduating from incubation.

Bests,
Marconi's team.

--
@flaper87