[openstack-dev] [nova] Backwards incompatible API changes

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Mar 20 10:51:26 UTC 2014

Christopher Yeoh wrote:
> The patch was merged in October (just after Icehouse opened) and so has
> been used in clouds that do CD for quite a while. After some discussion
> on IRC I think we'll end up having to leave this backwards incompatible
> change in there - given there are most likely users who now rely on
> both sets of behaviour there is no good way to get out of this
> situation. I've added a note to the Icehouse release notes.

I still think reverting before release is an option we should consider.
My point is, yes we broke it back in October for people doing CD (and
they might by now have gotten used to it), if we let this to release
we'll then break it for everyone else.

We put a high emphasis into guaranteeing backward compatibility between
releases. I think there would be more damage done if we let this sail to
release, compared to the damage of reverting CD followers to pre-October
behavior...

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)